In Texas, there are so many family lawyers to choose from that knowing which one to choose—and understanding how much family court lawyers cost in Texas, can be intimidating.
On the one hand, everyone wants a top family court lawyer for themselves during a crucial life change like separation from a spouse or the arrangement of custody of your children. This case is one when paying more for quality services is worth it.
On the other hand, a lawyer’s rates don’t always correspond to better legal representation. You might get a substandard lawyer who charges high fees. If your court case gets drawn out longer than expected, those costs can become burdensome.
But if you familiarize yourself with what family lawyers do in and out of court and how they charge their clients, you’ll soon be able to discern how to find value. This knowledge will help you find Texas’s top family court lawyers for the most competitive rates.
What Family Lawyers Do
Family law attorneys are legal professionals who specialize in settling domestic issues, including marriage, divorce, and more. Here’s a closer look at the cases that family lawyers take on.
- Separation and Divorce Cases. Family lawyers can arrange prenuptial agreements, allowing married couples to write the laws controlling their own marriage. They also specialize in mediating divorce settlements and dividing assets and debts between partners. They also handle spousal support and alimony arrangements and cases of domestic violence. Most importantly, they represent and advocate for their clients in court.
- Child Custody Cases. Family lawyers are trained to determine child custody arrangements that are in the best interest of the children. If mediation is not possible, they go before a judge to protect the rights of both the clients and their children.
- Other Family-Related Concerns. Beyond issues of marriage dissolution, family lawyers are indispensable when it comes to filing for legal name changes, setting estates, and resolving inheritance disputes.
Factors that Determine the Cost of Family Lawyers
Family lawyers have several ways of keeping their costs competitive. Here are common ways they structure their payments.
- Fixed Fees: If a lawyer charges a fixed fee, they will charge their client a set price for the work they provide. Experienced family lawyers often offer fixed fees because they routinely handle the same tasks and understand of how much each will cost.
- Time-costing: A different approach to billing is time-costing, in which the attorney will charge their hourly rate in increments so that they are paid for every moment they spend working on your case.
- Hourly rates: Hourly rates for family lawyers commonly range from $150-$400 or beyond in Texas. Lawyers may require a retainer up front, from which they will then draw their fees and other charges. When this retainer is exhausted, they will require a new one, usually for the same amount as the first.
At WhitbeckBennett, our family court lawyers meet the highest standards of professionalism, expertise, and compassion.
We offer competitive rates for our family law services and can handle any type of representation you need, either in or out of court. Our attorneys have decades of experience in Texas family law and can answer all of your questions about what your family law case might cost.
Don’t wait to start your conversation with WhitbeckBennett. Call 800-516-3964 or email us at email@example.com.